Von Stade Names Two Men as New Freshman Deans

Two graduates of the class of '53 have been named Assistant Deans, F. Skiddy Von Stade '38, Dean of Freshmen, announced last night. The two new additions to his staff, who take up their duties July 1, will replace two men whose resignations Von Stade also announced.

Walter B. Carnochan '53 and Leroy S. Rouner '53 will replace Francis Parkman, Jr. '44 and Edward T. Wilcox, who have served as Assistant Deans of Freshmen for the past two years.

Von Stade said his new assistants would be responsible for a part of the freshman class. They will see that each new undergraduate has an advisor and will take care of the freshman's personal and disciplinary problems.

Carnochan, a graduate of St. Paul's, received a magna cum laude degree here. He is a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He is presently studying at New College, Oxford. Rouner went to Choate. While an undergraduate here, he rowed on the varsity heavyweight crew. He has just finished his first season as coach of all Crimson 155-pound crews.

Of the two men they replace, one will remain connected with the University.

Before he worked under Von Stade, Wilcox was a teaching fellow in Humanities. He will now become an Assistant to William G. Perry, Jr., Director of the Bureau of Study Counsel. Parkman also was connected with the University before his term as Assistant Dean. In 1951-52 he served on the Committee on Scholarships. He is leaving to become the headmaster of Cate School, Santa Barbara, California.