Perry's No-Hitter Tops Nine, As Holy Cross Wins, 5 to 0

By William C. Sigal

The Crimson hitting, which has been dying rapidly in the past few games, finally dropped dead Saturday before the pitching of Holy Cross ace Ronnie Perry, who squelched the varsity without a hit, 5 to 0.

So effective were Perry's fast ball and curve that not a ball was hit out of the infield and only two were hit into the air. Had it not been for his two bases on balls and the three-Crusader errors, the entire Crimson team might just as well have remained in its canvas-covered dugout and prayed for rain, for nine of them swung at third strikes and two others looked at them.

Perry's only "bad" inning was the ninth, when he was supported by an infield as jittery as he. Bill Cleary, the first batter, grounded to the shortstop, Don Prohovich, who was unable to field it cleanly. It went as an error. Ned Felton, batting for Don Butters, forced Cleary at second, and after George Anderson looked at a third strike, George MacDonald ended it all with a skow roller down the third baseline, which third baseman Tom Yasenki charged and flipped underhand to first to nip him by a step.

Against converted pitcher John Maher, starter and finisher for the Crimson, the vaunted Crusaders, only undefeated team in New England, did not have an especially easy time in racking up victory number eleven. Maher gave up eight hits and three walks, but only two of the runs were earned, thanks to two errors by usually reliable shortstop Ed Krinsky.

The first Crusader run came in the first inning on a single by leadoff man Yasenki, a sacrifice, and a ball which rolled through Krinsky's legs for an error.

They scored their only untainted runs in the fourth on a single, a walk, a sacrifice, another walk, this one intentional, Perry's run-producing fielder's choice, and another single by Yasenki.

The Crimson's final EIBL contest, with Pennsylvania, last Friday was cancelled because of rain. Although several teams have games remaining, the Crimson has clinched a spot in the second division with its record of three wins and five losses.