Crimson Varsity Five Bows To Powerful Amherst, 70-47

AMHERST, Jan. 13--Out-rebounded and stymied by a strong some defense, the varsity basketball team dropped a 70-47 decision to a powerful Amherst squad here tonight.

The Lord Jeffs took a ten point lead at the ten minute mark which they increased consistently during the remaining three quarters. They led at the half, 34 to 18.

The Crimson's shifting man to man defense failed completely to stop the Lord Jeffs' fast breaking offense. Dick Anderson, a 6-3 forward, and Pete Scott, a set-shooting guard, led the Amherst scoring with 16 and 14 points, respectively.

Center Harry Sacks was the only Crimson player to score in double figures. He totaled 12 points on two field goals and eight fouls. Guards Bob Barnett and Roger Bulger each scored eight, while both Phil Haughey and Ike Canty accounted for five. Dick Hurley, with four points, Warren Kantrowitz, and Rod Long with two each, and Bob Hastings with one completed the varsity scoring.

The loss was the quintet's eighth in 12 games this season. The squad dropped an earlier encounter to Amherst, 66-57, in the New England Tournament at Storrs, Conn., over the Christmas vacation.

The five's next game is an away Ivy League contest against Princeton this Saturday.