Gen. Ed. Dept. To Offer Nat. Sci. in Physics

An experimental upper level General Education course will be offered this spring for the first time to concentrators in the Natural Sciences, it was announced yesterday.

The course, taught by Gerald J. Holton, associate professor of Physics, will be open to students who have a background in introductory physics. It is designed to present the field of the Natural Science concentrator "in its historical and philosophical context," according to Holton. "The course will center around problems of modern physics on a conceptual and mathematical level," Holton said.

This course, entitled "Modern Physics and its Historical and Philosophical Background," unlike most upper level General Education courses, may be counted towards concentration in several departments of the Natural Sciences. Professor Holton said "this is not a duplication of the excellent job done by the philosophy department. The course should have special interest for those interested in pulling together certain fields." "Its ultimate emphasis will depend on the level of preparation of student participation."

Limited to 25

The course will be limited to about 25 students during its first year.

Director of General Education Philip B. Rhinelander '29 stated that the course was set up on an experimental basis and he hoped "to expand the course if it worked out." Holton feels a possible lack of professors willing and capable of teaching the course may hinder its future expansion.

Holton cited the need for elective courses on the upper or intermediate level of General Education since "science concentrators do not take General Education courses on the introductory level."

Original source material will be "used to demonstrate the continuity of historical development even within the great revolutions of scientific thought." Physics 11a and 11b or their equivalent will be prerequisites. A considerable number of students have expressed a wish for a course of this nature, according to Professor Holton.