Swimmers Romp Over M.I.T., 76-8

The Crimson swimming team set its second record in its second meet of the year as it completely shut out M.I.T., 76 to 8, in opening the home season at the I.A.B. pool last night.

Chouteau Dyer, Captain Ted Whatley, Jack Edwards, and Jim Jorgenson combined in that order to put together a 400-yard free style relay in 3:31 flat. The time broke the former Crimson mark of 3:32.4 set March 1, 1952, by John McNamara, Jack Millard, Ron Huebsch, and Dave Hedberg.

This relay was the only event Coach Hal Ulen tried to win against the hapless Engineers. Otherwise, he benched all his first-line men or swam them in unfamiliar events.

Nevertheless, the varsity won every possible point, placing first and second in every event and taking both relays.

The closest events of the evening were the 200-yard back and breast strokes. Paul Santmire and Bill Hoadley easily won their races, but Ned Benton had to come from behind in the last lap to catch Tech ace Bob Jantzen in the backstroke; and breaststroke John Fowler managed to nip M.I.T.'s Bill Buck at the finish.

Sophomores Dave Whitman and Glenn Sister captured the 440 free style, and John Lind and Jack Dinsmoor placed one-two in the 100.