Dudley, Leverett, Winthrop Eliot Are Hockey Favorites

Despite the formation of a formal junior varsity hockey team which drew away many of last year's outstanding players, all intramural hockey league squads have had an unusually large turnout so far this season. Dudley Eliot, Leverett, and Winthrop appear to have the strongest teams in the league.

Bill Allen, one of last year's freshman stars, centers the Adams House first line with football player Bob Cochran and Bob Ogden as his wings. Mat Whelan and Loyall Sewall are at defense with former Andover goalie Paul Jameson in the nets. John Grammer, Bob Cowles, and Bill Radomsky make up the second line.

Dudley's Commuters, favored to win the league title for the second straight year, have already beaten Lowell and Leverett in their first two games. Oscar Swenson is playing in the goal, with Art Tallis, outstanding defenseman in the league during the last two seasons, Tom Lloyd, and Jim Murray alternating at defense. The first line consists of Bob Provost, Paul Brennan, and freshman Don McNell, Dudley's second line, with Pete Hoagland, Bob Danbar and Wes Wadman, is better than average.

Dunster House

After losing several good players to the junior varsity, the Funsters showed much spirit as they tied Kirkland last week. Dave Cook, Pat Conmy, and Tom Howes are the first line. Goalie Paul Gabriel has Fred Nickerson, John Read, and Art Ticknor in front of him at defense. Bucky Parsons, Jack Davidson, and Jack Donovan are the second line.

Eliot House

Great depth with two experienced lines and several good defenseman distinguishes the Elephants. Nelson Aldrich is playing between Bob Kennard and hard-shooting Fred Church on the first line. Former freshman players Phil Price and Jay Iselin are at defense with Tom Ingram. On second line are Tim Thatcher, Tim Herrick, and Jim Fish. Lanny Evarts is in the nets. Brige Albright, Bob Reardon, and Henry Elkins are the third line.

Kirkland House

Interest in hockey in Kirkland has increased more this year than in past seasons, although a few of last year's team are back. Center Walt Gannon with Norm Gahm and Roger Gratwick as wings make up the first line. Phil DeCaro and Mike Moskoware at defense with Tom Walsh and Andy Casner. Gordie Lunn is the team's goalie. The second line consists of Bob Lloyd, Bill Johnson, and John Dwyer.

Leverett House

Probably the most improved team this year. The Bunnies showed their new strength by beating Winthrop last week. Lou Cowardin is playing on the first line with Pete Wells and Ed Galvin. High scoring defenseman John Coolidge recently broke his wrist, leaving Jan Meyer and Roy Johnson to share defense duties. Senior Hugh Wilde is the goalie. Ed Cary, Gerhart Shade, and Pete Winans make up the second line.

Lowell House

Although Lowell is another team that lacks experietice, the Bellboy squad has drawn an encouraging turnout. Jerry Whatmough, Jim Mosley, and team Wolcott are skating together on the first line. Bruce Righter and Ebbe Gary are at defense in front of a steady goal tender, Jack Lonsdale. Norm Marsh, Bill Henry, and Sandy Watts are on the second line.

Winthrop House

Despite losing several players to the junior varsity, Winthrop is a strong threat to the defending champion, Dudley. Two of last year's freshman team, Lou Newell and Earl Silbert, team with Matt Grossman on the first line. Orville Tice and Dan Pierce are at defense. John Amory, last year's defenseman, and Ned Felton, another former freshman player, will start playing next term, Senior Frank Long is in the goal.

The HAA is supplying all teams with hockey helmets for the first time in an effort to keep injuries at a minimum. Trainer Eddle Noonan hopes that players will have their skates sharpened frequently because, he says, "dull skates are often responsible for injuries."

Leverett and Kirkland are tied for the lead in the 1954-55 Straus Trophy scoring with 340 points each. Dunster is third with 317.5 points.