Grad Council Head Advises Study of Aids

David Recommends Greater Scholarship Help for Grads

Zdenck V. David, 3G, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Student Council, said last night that an intensive and thorough study of the financial needs of graduate students should be made.

The Faculty Committee to study the Behavioral Sciences recommended last year that "larger scholarship funds should be made available to graduate students in the first years of graduate work, thus making it possible for the student to concentrate more fully on his studies in those years."

The committee also suggested a study on how such a scholarship change might affect the advanced student.

David said, however, he doubted that the Graduate Council would inaugurate such a study in the near future. The Council is already examining the financial condition of teaching fellows at the University as compared with that of teaching fellows elsewhere.

Increased Scholarship Aid

David further pointed out that there is a great need for increased scholarship aid to graduate students. This is especially true of the first year of graduate study, he continued, since students often have difficulty adjusting to the new work.

The report also suggested the need for a small discretionary fund which could be used as a grant-in-aid is graduate students for certain types of expenses involved in their research. Although not exceeding $100 per person the grants would fill, the report said, "a genuine need for which no provision can be normally made now," unless a student becomes attached to a senior faculty member's own research project.