Medical Journal Deplores Lack Of Protection in Rugby Uniforms

Commenting on a statement in the British Medical Journal that rugby players should abandon their "scanty uniforms," Crimson rugby captain Rob Albert said he did not think any changes in the American rugby uniform were necessary.

"One of the main objectives of rugby is to maintain the traditions as originally established over 100 years ago," he added.

The authoritative Journal said the same has become too tough, and the men who play it should be insulated against injury. The current uniform is virtually the same as that used in soccer; it consists merely of a pair of flimsy shorts, a close-fitting cotton sweater, long socks and ankle boots.

The Journal advocated the wearing of foam rubber shoulder pads quilted and padded sweaters, shin guards, and plastic instead of leather cleats. However, "protective clothing much as worn by American footballers hardly seems justified," it added.

No Space Helmets

"This enormous difference between rugby and football is one of the great drawing-cards and advantages for American rugby players," Albert said. "Football players would stand a much better chance of feeling the spirit of the game without their paraphernalia." He added that there had not been one serious case of concussion at Harvard as a result of rugger for several years. "This is largely because we don't wear space helmets," he said.

The reaction among rugger players and fans in the British Isles was similar to Albert's

Punch, the London humor magazine, recently suggested as a solution to the problem of selecting atomic armor that one could "take an American football uniform, and strip off the non-essentials."