Petty Thievery Wave Arouses Official Ire, Halts Honor Systems

University officials were indignant yesterday over a recent wave of petty stealing from coin-operated machines and newsstands in three Houses. It was unknown whether or not the thieves were students at the University.

At Lowell House, where thievery from the newsstand caused the sale of morning papers to be discontinued, Housemaster Elliott Perkins '23 said, "If a few people who don't belong at Harvard are going to take unfair advantage of the honor system, others will have to keep a check on them or give up the benefits of the plan. Students should have no inhibitions about turning in violators."

William Hinton, superintendent of Leverett House, found that someone had tampered with the coin boxes in the public washing machines. The thief knew enough about electricity to disconnect the machines from their 220 volt line while he was working.

In addition, thievery at Leverett has forced the candy stand operated on an honor system to discontinue the sale of all items like cigarette with a high wholesale cost. A dime attached to a wire was also discovered in a coke machine. Spoilage destroyed the contents of an ice-cream vender when someone pulled out the plug.

At Winthrop House thieves not only stole a stamp machine, but they also took the table on which the machine had rested.

Leigh Headley, Master of Leverett House, said that "we can't be sure that this petty thievery is due to 'coasters' or students. This may turn out to be a good time for students to reappraise themselves and their honor system."