Varsity Takes Fifth Place In Intercollegiate Tourney

The varsity basketball team, losing two of its three games, finished in a three-way tie for fifth place in the second annual New England Colleges Tournament held at Storrs, Conn., last week.

Doing about as well as expected, the Crimson upset Colby, but lost to the University of Connecticut and Amherst. Underdog Dartmouth, on a sensational last second basket by Dick Fairly, edged UConn, 66 to 65, to capture the tournament title. The Huskies, with a 90 plus scoring average, were pre-tournament favorites to recapture the crown.

For Coach Floyd Wilson, probably the most surprising three-day performance came from sophomore Phil Haughey. A 6-4 substitute forward, who had only seen limited action in the team's opening games, Haughey scored 31 points, second only to Harry Sacks' 49. His 14 field goals were high for the team, with Sacks tallying his 49 on 13 field goals and 23 foul shots. Dick Manning was third in scoring with 27 points.

Connecticut, scoring almost at will, routed the Crimson, 98 to 60, in the varsity's opener. With substitutes playing most of the way for the Huskles, the varsity was able to hold them even for the second half, but it could not come close to reducing the 50-23 half-time deficit. Sacks was top man for the losers with 15 points, with Manning and Haughey each scoring ten.

Colby, which had entered the tournament undefeated, fought the Crimson into the final minutes, leading by one point, 43 to 41. But Haughey scored six straight points with five minutes to go, and the varsity was never caught after that, winning, 70 to 61. Sacks' score of 26 points was the game's highest.

Amherst, after being upset by Middlebury, a team the Crimson had defeated earlier in the season, came back to defeat the varsity, 66 to 57. Dick Hurley, another one of Wilson's talented sophomores, led the losers with 14 points.

The tournament teams finished in this order: Dartmouth, first; UConn, Brown, and Amherst, second; Harvard, Colby, and Middlebury, fifth; and Massachusetts, eighth.