City Council Orders MTA Buses To End Harvard Square Parking

Councilman Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29 yesterday charged that Harvard Square was being used as a bus terminal and passed an Order at the City Council meeting requesting the Metropolitan Transit Authority to stop this practice.

"When we allowed them to make the Square a bus stop we didn't know they'd be parking three and four buses there all the time," DeGuglielmo said. The Order was adopted unanimously by the Council without discussion.

Herbert Baldwin, publicity director of the MTA, said last night that the Square was not intended to be a terminal, and although some lines ended their routes there the buses only used the Square to turn around and start back.

"The buses will still be allowed to pick up and leave passengers," DeGuglielmo added. "But the drivers will have to keep moving. They're blocking traffic terribly."

Baldwin said he could not believe there were buses parking there all the time. "We have no buses scheduled to park there, of course," he stated. "The drivers sometimes have many passengers to discharge and thus are occasionally held up. But if they weren't there I don't see how we could serve the public."

"We haven't got the order yet so I don't know whether it's mandatory or just a suggestion, but naturally we will act accordingly if the situation needs prompt attention," Baldwin added.