McCarthy Reiterates Condemnation Of University for Position on Reds

Senator Joseph R. McCarthy yesterday attacked the University's "continued policy of hiring Fifth Amendment Communists," and called it an indication that the University had changed little since his last visit to Boston in January, 1954.

"Of course I haven't made much of a study of Harvard," McCarthy said affably as he emerged from a two-hour briefing by U.S. attorneys in the Federal Building, "but that much hasn't changed." McCarthy arrived in Boston Sunday to testify at this morning's trial of Leon J. Kamin '49.

He added that he felt continued investigation of the spread of communism in education was necessary and that he had "every confidence in the former Jenner Committee, now the Eastland Committee, which is making a new start in this field."

Riding down in an elevator he disdainfully described the lessening of international tensions since the Geneva conference as "phoney as it can be. The Russians haven't lost any of their desire for world conquest. They're just smiling and sipping their vodka."

Will Campaign Actively

He parried questions about next year's campaign except to say, "It looks less and less likely that Eisenhower will run," and that he would play an active role in next year's campaign. "I don't know whether it will be a major one, though. That remains to be seen."

McCarthy was guarded throughout his conference by a plainclothesman assigned to him as a result of a telephoned threat to kill him yesterday.

When he left the Federal Building, he was surrounded by a small crowd of well-wishers, some of whom quietly shook his hand and wished him good luck, while others waved and yelled, "We're with you, Joe." One policeman leaned into the Senator's limousine and said "It's good to see you back in Boston."