Plans Misfire For Collecting Council Funds

The Student Council may lose between $300 and $500 worth of pledges it hoped to collect from students on University term bills. Council President Albert B. Levin '56 said last night that the University has a standing policy not to permit collections via the term bill for anything but University charges.

In a letter dated October 10, Levin asked all who had made pledges to pay them directly to the Council. He stated that the University prohibition against term bill collections "was not known to us at registration, so we must ask for your contribution in this manner."

Edward M. Abramson '57, Council treasurer, estimated yesterday that up to 150 students had pledged between $300 and $500 on term bills. "I'm almost sure," he said, "that we won't collect anything approaching the full amount."

Previously Permitted

Abramson explained that in the 1940's the Council "somehow slipped the term bill provision past the University ruling. So this year, when I saw that it had been done in the past, I thought we could try it, too."

"I showed the cards we used at registration to Sargent Kennedy," Abramson declared, "but he must have read it in a cursory fashion, for he approved them at that time. We had some doubts about the plan, but decided to go ahead with it."

"Dean Leighton then told us that we could definitely not use term bills," Abramson added. "Personally," he concluded, "I think the ruling is correct."