Crimson Favored to Beat Winless Dartmouth

Varsity Will Field Strong Team for Traditional Tilt But Indian Eleven Boasts the Nation's Best Passer

By Jack Rosenthal

Big Weekend has already started in Hanover, N.H. Fraternities are crowded with the best of dates from Colby, Smith, and points south. Alumni from all over the country have flocked to Dartmouth for the traditional game. There is no chance of rain, according to the forecasters. Last night was "Dartmouth night"; today is Homecoming; in short, it will be a weekend to cap all weekends, even Dartmouth weekends.

Except for one thing. Harvard should win.

Granted, the Indian football team boasts the best passer, Bill Beagle, and the best receiver, Monte Pascoc, in the country. Although it has lost its first four games, it has allowed only 78 points while scoring 54--only six points less per game than its opponents. Agreed, the Indians' spirit will be high for their first home game against Harvard since 1946. But there are a number of reasons for believing that Harvard will win, possibly by as much as two touchdowns.

Perhaps the most apparent are injuries to important Indian offensive personnel. The Green air attack may be seriously deflated if Pascoc has not recovered from a shoulder injury, and the meagre ground attack may be even further diminished if halfback Jack Nicolette does not return to the lineup after suffering a bad bruise.

Perhaps the most significant will be the respective defenses. The rugged Crimson line, by wearing down its Dartmouth counterpart, could got around to rush Beagle as consistently and effectively as it did Columbia's Claude Benham. With the possible exception of Guard Ted Metropoulos, that line is in top shape.

The Dartmouth line, however, never yet strong this season, may well be even weaker. Both starting guards, Stan Klapper and John Donnelly are expected to be side-lined for the entire game, and the other regular ends are all suffering from various hand injuries.

More positively, the Crimson has its own statistics to flaunt. While Beagle leads the Ivy League in total offense with 556 yards, Matt Botsford, who has alternated at tailback with Jim Joslin for the Crimson, and has played in only three games, has piled up 407. Even with Beagle's passing supporting the whole Indian offense, Dartmouth has averaged only 239.3 yards per game against Harvard's league-leading 324.7.

That offense, like the line should be intact for the game. Botsford and Joslin have been running well from tailback all week, and filling their regular spots will be wingback John Simourian, fullback Tony Gianelly, and quarterback Leo Daley.

In addition to Joslin, the second backfield--Ron Eikenberry at wing, Dick Oehmler at full, and Joe Crehore at quarterback--are all in good shape. Senior wingback Dexter Lewis, out with a leg injury until two weeks ago, also ran with the team all week.

Moreover, Jordan may spring a new passing attack of his own. His top passer, quarterback Phil Haughey, was back in action this week, working out with Simourian and end Ted Kennedy.

If Metropoulos does not play, Ed Rosenthal will again take his place in the starting line. The rest of the line will be composed of ends Bob Morrison and Ed Kennedy, tackles Orville Tice and John Maher, guard and captain Bill Meigs, and center Jan Meyer.