Bundy Sees Rise in Tuition; Endowments Hit New High

Costs Demand Hike to $1000

By Stephen R. Barnett

The College's tuition will go up--probably to $1,000 a year--in the "not distant" future, Dean Bundy predicted yesterday.

Despite the record market value of 439 million dollars reached by the Harvard Endowment Fund during the past year, rising costs have kept the Faculty of Arts and Sciences "on the raged edge of insolvency," Bundy said. He characterized the $132,321 margin by which he balanced the Faculty's budget as "a matter of luck."

"Even to keep going with our present enrollment we need new and greater sources of income," Bundy asserted at a Boston press conference. He predicted, therefor, that the College would soon institute its fourth tuition hike since the war, and thereby keep in line with Yale, Princeton, and Dartmouth, "who are already up around the $1000 mark."

Restricted Funds

Bundy stressed that the Faculty's $85,000,000 endowment, large as it is, consists chiefly of restricted funds hat cannot be used where they are most needed. Additional money is therefore needed to provide or such existing College expenses as Faculty salaries, scholarship funds, and classroom and housing space, he said.

Overcrowding in undergraduate dormitories has gotten "well past the level that is sensible," Bundy continued, adding: "Millions of dollars could be put to work tomorrow in this field."

Bundy then mentioned three areas where the College's development opportunities are still largely unfulfilled. He cited the need for a student theatre, pointing out that "no other liberal arts college of the size and strength of Harvard is without one."

Chemistry Building

Funds for additional chemistry buildings and facilities are also necessary, he said, as is money for a new hygiene building.