Peron's Regime Maintained Tight Control Over Schools

Student Inspects Files

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

A Harvard junior, who last week had access to the hitherto unpublished papers of Juan D. Penon's regime, revealed yesterday that the Peron government operated a vast police network which kept an iron hand on Argentine students and educators.

In one of the more significant disclosures about Peron's dictatorship, Luigi Einaudi '57 said every student, professor, and administrator in Argentina's universities had his name on file in Buenos Aires. In addition, complete dossiers were kept on over 70,000 of these people.

These personal files included reports of tapped phone calls, overheard private conversations, meetings the individual attended, and friends he had. The agency which collected this enormous amount of information was called the "Servicio de Enlance y Coodinacion" and was a direct affiliate of the Ministry of Education, Einaudi said.

Einaudi returned to Cambridge last weekend after spending the last 15 days in South America. He is the special assistant to the International Vice-President of the National Students Association, and was in Chile from Oct. 9-13 attending a world-wide conference.

Einaudi invited to Buenos Alres

While in Santiago, Einaudi met representatives from the student organization of Argentina (FUA) and these students told him that their group was forced to go underground during the entire last year of Peron's rule. In addition, they said many members of their organization had either been imprisoned or executed in this time. Einaudi, as an NSA representative, was invited to Buenos Aires to learn of the repressive regime for himself.

In Argentina, the provisional government allowed him full access to the Education files, and asked him to release information gained there "so others can know what kind of regime Peron led."

The files, crammed into a small three-story building in Buenos Aires, revealed that the government carefully made sure that no acts opposing Peron ever took place on university campuses. In addition to the personal dossiers, there were also folders which analyzed the person-