House Debate League Starts Next Semester

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

A nine-man student committee met yesterday to lay the groundwork for the College's first Inter-House Debate League. The debating group made up of all the Houses including Dudley, is scheduled to begin formal competition next semester.

Filling what the committee called "The gap between those who are interested in debating and those who can compete for the varsity Debate Council," the League will be under the supervision of Ernest R. May, instructor in History, and the new adviser to the Debate Council.

In the next few weeks, efforts will he made to encourage as many students as possible to try out for their House teams, Roger D. Irie '56, temporary chairman of the committee, said yesterday. Advisers for the teams will be chosen by the Masters and House Committees.

Only Informal in Fall

For the remainder of the fall semester, Irle indicated that only informal debating will be held. This is to allow the Houses to put together their best teams. Eliot House has already challenged Dunster to a non-league match, the date as yet undecided.

In the spring, each House will compete in about four matches, with advisers not involved in the debate serving as judges.

Other members of the committee were: Daniel F. Hayden '57, Eliot; Paul G. O'Leary '56, Dudley; Jonathan U. Burdick '57, Lowell; Toby Citrin '56, Leverett; Robert W. Serlvner '57, Kirkland; Robert M. O'Neil '56, Winthrop; Daniel A. Reznock '56, Dunster; Richard H. Murray '58, Winthrop.