Varsity Conquers Tufts in Opening Soccer Game, 5-1

A persistent defense and good shooting brought the Crimson soccer team a 5-1 victory over Tufts in the season's opener yesterday at Medford.

Coach Bruce Munro eventually used all 29 players on his squad, but Captain Hugh Sargent turned in the most consistently excellent work, played the full 88 minutes at right fullback, along with Lindsay Fischer, who played all but ten minutes in the goal. Sargent's high, deep kicks repeatedly saved the Crimson, and Fischer's spirited play blocked all but one of the Jumbos' scoring thrusts.

Even at Half-Time

Although it finally won going away, the Crimson had a tough battle for the first two periods. The only score for the victors in the first half was Grey Hodnett's slanting header of a long pass from outside right Bill Lingelbach after one minute of the second quarter, but this was matched four minutes later when George Deemys tallied for Tufts. The varsity kept the ball beyond midfield in the first two quarters but this advantage was equalized by the daring play of Tufts goalie winton Briggs, who roamed far from the nets to intercept Crimson passes.

Late in the second period Stacy Holmes booted one home, but it was disallowed because the half had ended. He made one that counted after 1:15 of the third quarter on a long angle shot from the right. Other Crimson scorers were Shad Tubman at 17:20 of the third on a deflection off Harry Wexler's elbow, Hodnott again at 0:39 of the fourth on a pass from Dick Fisher and Ken McIntosh at 18:07 heading a corner-kick by Hank Holmes.