Major Hurdle

Soccer and cross country enthusiastis have long asked why these activities are not major sports. The answer has always boiled down to one reply, that neither sports commands enough spectator appeal. But by last Friday even a concerted campaign of publicity stunts, including a walkie-talkie broadcast of the Big Three cross country meet, had done all it could. It is time now for the Faculty Committee on Athletics to recognize that soccer and cross country deserve major status--publicity or no publicity.

Instead of the number of spectators in the stands the only criteria for distinguishing between major and minor sports should be time, effort, and athletic ability. At present, the same runner who receives a major letter in the spiring for running in a track meet that may be more popular, but surely takes no more effort. By making such arbitrary distinctions, the College is weakening its own policy of strictly amateur athletics--athletics which exist not for the spectator but for the participant.

Even according to the Athletic Association's popularity policy soccer's status as a minor sport is unjust. All the team's opponents, except Cornell, have soccer as a major sport. Yet if the H.A.A. wishes to be consistent, it can not make soccer major without also elevating cross country. As long as both sports demand a similar amount of time, skill, and hard work from players, their status should be the same.

Some fall sports, however, do not answer these requirements. JV football players, for instance, although they work just as hard as varsity men, lack their ability. They should therefore continue to receive a secondary award. Likewise, a more informal sport such as sailing, which requires less practice time than other sports, should change from a minor sport to a club. The H.A.A. could easily continue to give sailing its present services, such as paying the entrance fees; rugby, already organized as a club, now receives unofficial H.A.A. aid.

In order not to harm football by comparison, soccer has raised the requirements for its letters this fall. Cross country's are already considered high enough. The last barriers separating these sports from football in status, if not in popularity, therefore have fallen away. The faculty should abolish this distinction, and get set for the time when winter teams begin to clamor.