Brown Tops Crimson, 14-6, With Fine Passes, Tackling

Varsity Offense Fails

By Stephen R. Barnett

For Crimson fans, the most exciting event in Harvard Stadium Saturday afternoon was the announcement that Princeton had upset Yale, 13 to 0.

Meanwhile the vaunted Harvard line was continually being pushed around, varsity passes were falling all over the Stadium turf, and bored spectators were shooting paper airplanes from the stands, as a hard-tackling Brown eleven drove to a 14 to 6 upset victory.

Thus the varsity will enter next Saturday's finale at New Haven with the same 3-3-1 record as last year, the same opportunity to keep Yale from the Ivy League crown (which the Elis can still win by beating Harvard if Dartmouth upsets Princeton), and the same chance to win the Big Three championship for itself.

This past Saturday, however, Coach Lloyd Jordan's team didn't look like champions of anything. The Crimson line though generally strong on defense, crumbled enough during the third period to let Brown drive to a touchdown in eleven plays from its own 42-yard-line, with nine of them on the ground.

Then in the fourth quarter, with the Crimson behind 7 to 6 and in a now-or-never position on its own 5, the line failed not only to open holes but to protect its own punter. Brown Captain Jim McGuinness said after the game that he didn't actually block Jim Joslin's Harris from Haddonfield, N.J.

The shots were fired into the ground by patrolman George E. Mercier, stationed on the Radcliffe campus. Shortly after he had halted the students three squard cars arrived, one of them summoned by complaints of local residents, and the other two by Mercier.

Two Barnard Hall girls who were talking on the fourth floor when the incident occurred claimed the students were shouting such phrases as "come down here" and "you killed my mother and I'll kill you," before Mercier fired the shots. They also said the three were "climbing trees and pounding on the doors of Eliot and Whitman.