Council Will Consider NSA Ties, Student's Election to Regional Post

The Student Council will carefully consider its future relations with the National Student Association at its meeting tonight. Several members of the Council contend that the NSA gives the Council little in exchange for its $100 yearly dues, and they have urged that the Council drop out.

Hinging upon tonight's decision is the status of Luigi Einaudi '57, who was elected New England president of the NSA at its regional meeting Saturday in Newton. According to NSA rules, Einaudi cannot accept his new post if the College breaks its tie with the Association.

The Council had already voted last week to put the N.S.A. question on tonight's agenda. Then last Saturday morning at 1 a.m. Council President Albert B. Levin '56 was notified that Einaudi wished to run for the N.S.A. regional post. By 10:00 a.m. Levin had secured the individual consent of enough Council members to phone Einaudi, giving him temporary appointment as an alternate Council delegate--just in time for him to be elected president at Newton.

Although the NSA accepted the legality of Einaudi's appointment, Levin said Council members want to pass final judgment on it as a group tonight.

Several of these members have suggested that the College contributes more to NSA than it receives. Each year, in addition to contributing $100 in dues, the Council sends two representatives to a summer conference. However it seldom accepts any N.S.A. policies. One member said last night that "these policies are imposed from above."