A Forum Rises ...

A College Political Forum seems just about assembled. the heads of most existing political groups have drawn up a careful blueprint and have agreed to start the parliamentary assembly rolling with a public debate on the Bricker Amendment. But the Forum's construction is not yet flawless: the Young Republicans refuse to join any formal organization.

The Republicans say they will not become submerged in a Forum that has an official title or that tends to unite the different clubs. They fear that a super-organization will devour individual groups, and they decline to take a stand on an issue, like the Bricker Amendment, which divides the Republican Party nationally. The Young Republicans say that they "serve two masters" already--the local membership and the National Party--and they do not want to add a third.

The Republicans' fears are understandable, for it is true that at other colleges central clearing houses have cleared some political organizations right out of the picture. The proposed Harvard Forum, however, hardly justifies the Republicans' qualms. No club will lose its sovereignty. No club will have to take part in any program it dislikes. No club will have to change a single phase of its own activities. The clubs are asked only to cooperate in discussing common problems and to sponsor joint programs if they wish.

The first tentative program, a full-scale parliamentary debate on the Bricker Amendment, should clearly show the Republicans how unreal their doubts are. The Republicans say they want experience in practical politics. But "practical politics" involves more than biennial canvassing, and what experience could be more practical than actual political debating? The Republicans say they do not want to weaken their organization. What better way to strengthen their organization than to hold debates and caucuses within their club before arriving at a public position? The Republicans say they do not want to be forced to choose sides, and even here their fears are groundless. For what is to prevent the Republicans from sending to the Forum an uncommitted delegation divided equally between pro and con?

Whether or not the Republicans are willing to take a stand on the Bricker Amendment, they should allow the Forum to get started. All other groups want to begin now. As the largest political club at the College, the Young Republicans are indispensable if the Forum is to succeed. They should realize that the Forum's success can give new dimensions to the present boundaries of the College's political clubs.