Common Plan Of Admission May Expand

Henry Sees Move To Standardization

The recent acceptance of a common procedure by Harvard, Yale and Princeton may be a step toward coordinating admissions in all Ivy League colleges and schools of similar standards, Dean David D. Henry indicated yesterday.

As a result of a meeting last summer, the admissions offices of the three schools have sent out announcements to secondary schools, stating that they have agreed on certain procedures. These include common closing dates for applications, College Board test requirements, and the $10 application fee, They also agreed to disclose their acceptances on the same date in May.

Henry said that he was in favor of bringing more schools into the agreement, with Ivy schools most readily fitting in. He stressed, however, that other schools would also find the program profitable.

The purpose of coordinating schools' admission procedures is to cut down not only the paper work involved for the applicant, but also for the school. "If like-minded colleges can get together on admissions procedures, it will be good both for us and for the high school," he said.

"This is the fist time Harvard, Yale and Princeton have sat down together and decided definitely upon an admissions procedure," Henry said. For several years the three schools have met to standardize stipend amounts on scholarships granted in common, but it has been an informal agreement until this year.

Henry also noted that several meetings of regional groups, such as the midwestern Big Ten, have produced standard admission programs in the past, but this is the first move in the direction of standardization among eastern schools.