Crimson Eleven Edges Favored Princeton, 7-6

Bill Meigs Sparks Improved Line In Contest Won by Crosby's Kick

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

All applications for student tickets for the Yale game must be handed in to the HAA office, 60 Boylston Street, by 5 p.m. today. Undergraduate tickets cost two dollars, accompanied by a signed discount slip which will be available with the regular brown envelopes. Extra tickets cost five dollars.

Princeton waited all game for them to crack, but the seven men of Harvard, driven on by their leader Bill Meigs, never folder under the Tigers' pressure. The Crimson forward wall had been pushed around all season, but on this cold, rain-swept first Saturday of November, the initial victory of the Big Three Series went to the Crimson, 7 to 6.

The record books and play-by-play accounts will tell you that Princeton, with almost double Harvard's yardage, missed a tic when Dick Martin kicked high and wide in the fourth quarter. What these sources will hardly tell is how the Crimson line, literally saturated to the skin with the muddy wet of Soldiers Field, only let up once-and that due to a late substitution penalty. And they will barely reveal how a crushing tackle by Captain Meigs caused Princeton to fumble on its own 22-yard line--setting up the touchdown and subsequent winning extra by Bing Crosby.

Lloyd Jordan once again was short on substitutes for his undermanned forward wall, and had to start inexperienced Dave Schcin instead of senior tackle John Maher. But sophomore Schein, perhaps influenced by his teammates' inspired play, left little to be desired. In addition to Meigs, who was in on nearly every play, Bob Morrison, Orville Tice, Jan Meyer, Ted Metropoulos, and Ted Kennedy all played their best game.

In addition, Jordan got good performances from his line substitutes, which were few indeed. Particularly outstanding were Dick Hoizschuh and Ed Rosenthal.

As was expected, Princeton had the depth in the line that Harvard lacked, and had enough deception in its Flippinless backfield to achieve eight to fifteen yard gains. But when the goal line was near, the Tigers couldn't move those last precious yards until a gift penalty provided an impetus in the closing minutes of the game.

Early in the second quarter, a determined Crimson stand that stopped what appeared to be an inevitable touchdown, seemed to take most of the drive out of the Tigers and at the same time, add a certain unknown to the varsity's morale that neither the losers nor the weather could destroy.

After the Crimson had to punt, the Tigers, who had kept the ball in Crimson territory to then, took over on their own 45. With tailback Sid Pinch and wingback Bill Danforth doing the running, they moved quickly to the Harvard 19 for a first down, as the new period changed.

Single Wing Falls

Fullback Martin bucked to the 11, and with second down and two coming up, things were not too bright for the Crimson. But on the next play, Morrison caught Danforth on a reverse, costing the Tigers three yards. Martin again bucked, this time for three yards, so it was fourth and two to go on the Crimson 11, as the Tigers lined up single wing to the left. On this crucial play, Princeton made the mistake of trying the Harvard left side Meigs side. Martin, trying to gain the first down, was thrown for a three yard loss by Meigs and Morrison.

Not being able to use Flippin hurt Princeton's attack immeasurably, for Pinch was just a very ordinary back. His passes were inaccurate, even to wide open receivers, and he did not have the speed to outrun the Crimson flanks. The ends, long a Crimson weakness, were much stronger Saturday, with Morrison particularly outstanding.

Varsity Capitalizes

With a third down and 13 yards to go on their own 23, the Tigers tried a bucklateral play with Martin banding off to quarterback John Sapoch, who was supposed to pitch-out to the tailback running wide. He never got rid of the ball. Meigs came bursting through and knocked it right out of Sapoch's hands. Kennedy recovered for the Crimson on the 22.

With the crowd of 21,000 sensing a score, the varsity began to move. Dexter Lewis, a solid thorn in the Tigers' attack all afternoon, hit the line for five yards. Big Tony Gianelly blasted four more, and then picked up a first down on the 10.

It was first down and goal to go, but Lewis lost a yard and Joslin could just move it to the seven; it was then third and seven to go.

On this play, Joslin took the snap and started running to the right. He had to stop to avoid a tackle and then threw a wobbly pass to Lewis in the end zone. Lewis juggled it, but gained possession an instant before stepping out of the zone. Crosby's kick was good, and it was 7-0.

After the Tigers could do nothing with the ball on the first series of downs after the kick-off, the Crimson had a touchdown dropped. On first down on the Princeton 42, Stahura fired a beautiful pass to John Simourian on the 10. The wingback, who could have walked across, let it bounce out of his hands for a costly incompletion.

Princeton Livens Up

Late in the fourth period, the favored Tigers finally began to look like the team they were expected to be. Taking the ball on their own 47, the Tigers moved in two plays to the Harvard 20. Martin gained 20 of the yards and Frank Agnew 13 more.

On first down there, Martin picked up three yards before Meigs and substitute Rosenthal stopped him. On second down, Agnew's pass was incomplete, and with third and eight coming up, the Crimson dug in for a crucial play.

With only two yards necessary, the Tigers finally made it on fourth down. Meigs held the ball carrier on the third, but on the last down, tailback Tom Morris again gained first and ten on the Crimson seven. On the next play, Morris threw to Agnew for a touchdown.

Martin, one of the better place-kickers in the league, stepped back to kick, with Pinch holding. Obviously disconcerted by the charging Crimson line, he kicked wide to the left.

STATISTICSPrinceton  HarvardFirst Downs  14  9Rushing Yardage  184  94Passing Yardage  7  16Passes Attempted  7  6Passes Completed  1  2Own Passes Intercepted  1  1Punts  6  6Punting Average  25  29Fumbles Lost  1  0Yards Penalized  15  3