Parody, Cat Appear Briefly in Downpour

"Great to Beat Princeton"

By Charles Steedman

Ted Metropoulos came off the field Saturday, so covered with mud that his big number 63 was almost illegible. "It feels great," he said simply, "to beat Princeton." It was even great enough to keep the Crimson rooters in their seats almost to a man throughout the worst downpour of the current monsoon.

The rain had in fact let up only once during the previous 24 hours, with the result that those who went to the game had resolved long before to stay until pneumonia set in. But it was at the moment when the downpour slackened that the editors of the Daily Princetonian came out to attempt distribution of a parody of the CRIMSON. That was about 6 a.m. Saturday.

Since the evening before Crimeds had been carrying out one of the most elaborate defense operations since the heyday of Al Capone. Cars patrolled Cambridge streets and pickets guarded the Houses and Yard, but the only alien activity was a premature distribution attempt in Kirkland around 4 a.m.

At six, after the legitimate CRIMSONS, which announced the lead story of the fake, had been distributed by editors, the parody appeared. The men of the Daily Prince were only successful in getting papers to parts of Leverett, Lowell, Winthrop, and Matthews Hall; elsewhere they failed completely. They then made an anti-climactic effort to get rid of the sheets on the Larz Anderson bridge before the game. The takers, however, were few.

The Prince editors had hoped to retaliate in some measure for the CRIMSON parodies at Princeton, last year and three years ago. For the curious, there are 1,000 copies of their attempt at 14 Plympton Street.

The Lampoon took its own form of revange Saturday on the young Tiger who had proclaimed too loudly that he was just that. The 'Poon editors requisitioned his tiger skin, reportedly worth $400, and sent their own man inside it out on the field at halftime. The new tiger appeared with the Band, borne on a stretcher and covered with the Princeton flag that had mysteriously disappeared from the New Jersey campus just a year ago.

At game's and, the Princeton cheerleaders left the field with the recovered tiger skin and their lost flag. Bill Meigs left the Stadium with a very wet football.