Students to Begin Liberal Quarterly

Liberals will have a new voice in the University community when a magazine called "Dialogue" appears in February.

A group of graduate students and faculty members will publish a "liberal and intellectual quarterly to examine and re-evaluate liberalism," Konrad Kaplowitz 2G, editor of the new magazine, announced yesterday.

The magazine will be "a workshop where liberals (especially found liberals) can hammer out the problems, of a liberal philosophy," he said. The magazine, however, will be a dialogue in the true sense of the word, Kaplowitz explained. Contributions from conservatives and Communists as well as liberals are welcome. "Unfortunately, perhaps," he said, "there are no Communists represented in the first issue."

"The kinds of issues that "Dialogue' will consider will range from the role of government in regulating industry to the problems of 'mass culture' and the dispossession of the white collar class," the editor said. "The accent will be on the social sciences, though we will also draw from literature and philosophy," be added.

The first issue, which will be about 130 pages long, includes among its articles "Class Consciousness in Liberal Thought" by Louis Harts '40, associate professor of Government, "Liberalism: The Next Step" by Kaplowitz, "The Pilgrim's Progress of John Dos Passos" by Anthony Winner, and "The Business Man as Hero" the Jane Johnson Alan Grossman's "Berlin Poems" will also be in the issue.

abroad, Kaplowitz said.

The magazine will be financed by contributions from any interested private parties including some students in the University.