Navy to Admit Students Dropped by Air Force

Decision Will Affect Classes of '58, '59 In Air Reserves

NROTC units across the country will accept members of AFROTC at colleges where the Air Force groups are being disestablished, the Navy announced yesterday.

Thus members of the College's Air Force unit, to be dissolved July 1, 1957, will be able to continue their Reserve training in either the Army or Navy units. When the Air Force termination decision was announced two weeks ago, Col. Trevor N. Dupuy, professor of Military Science and Tactics, announced that the Army unit would accept those Air Force reservists affected.

The Navy said it would only take those students who are currently in the first two years of AFROTC. Juniors and seniors are being permitted to complete their Air Force training. The Navy will accept eligible reservists as Contract students, and professors of Naval Science at the institutions affected will decide how much credit is to be given for AFROTC work already completed.

Units at Five Schools

The Navy announcement pointed out that it had Reserve units at five schools where the Air Force is dissolving units--Columbia, Harvard, Northwestern, Rochester, and Tufts. Although the Air Force has refused to list all those schools at which units are being disestablished, it is known that units at Amherst, Lowell Tech, Minnesota, Williams, and Capital University (Columbus, Ohio), are also being discontinued.

The Air Force decision was made known on December 6. College units with small enrollments were the ones most often dropped, but no specific policy statement has been made. Immediate reaction here was quite critical, but feeling since has become more resigned to the decision.