Conservatives in New Club Union Keep NCC Name

In a surprise move to ensure the successful merger of their organizations, the presidents of the College's two Conservative Clubs agreed behind closed doors last night to unify the Harvard Conservative League and the New Conservative Club under the latter's name.

To satisfy the League, William C. Brady '57, president of the NCC, agreed to change the name of his club "at a propitious time."

This unexpected action seems to sidetrack effectively the NCC's minority which was prepared to veto any name change--thus blocking the merger. With a two-thirds majority needed to make the NCC the "Young Conservative Club," it was doubtful if Brady could have succeeded in the merger.

One Moderate Organization

Kenneth E. Thompson '57, president of the now defunct HCL, issued a statement agreeing to immediate unification under the name of the NCC, but said the name change "must be made at the earliest possible occasion."

"The effect of this union," Brady said, "is the emergence of one, moderate conservative organization. The Conservative League goes out of existence and its charter with the University is rescinded." A letter has informed Dean Watson of the change, Brady said.

"The spectacle of warring conservatism is now a thing of the remote past," Brady stated. He declared that "the ideal and the fact of a united conservative club at Harvard is far more important than the name given to it."