F.C.C. Official States WHRB Violates Rule

Authorities Request Pusey to Intervene

WHRB and other college radio stations may be forced to suspend operations if they do not comply with the radiation regulations of the Federal Communications Commission, an FCC official, Nathan A. Hallenstein, said yesterday.

But Hallenstein pointed out that the stations could apply to the Commission for regular educational f.m. licenses. "Members of WHRB have made inquirles at this office concerning such an application," Hallenstein said.

No Mention of Radiation

Geoffrey M. Kalmus '56, president of WHRB, said that he had spoken to Hallenstein about the matter within the last two weeks. "At that time, he made no mention of any radiation problems at WHRB," Kalmus said. He added that the FCC had not contacted WHRB about any such problems this fall.

Hallenstein, who is Chief Engineer for FCC's Boston Office, said that the Commission was conducting radiation measurements on WHRB, and that "we expect WHRB to eliminate the spurious radiation within a reasonable time." The exact time limit will be fixed by the Commission at a later date, he added.

Asks Pusey to Intervene

"Last spring we told them to eliminate their spurious radiations, and they promised to modify their equipment," Hallenstein explained. "However, subsequent radiation measurements showed that they still had not complied with law." Hallenstein added that the FCC had then written to President Pusey requesting the University to take action in the case.

Hallenstein said that his office was also making additional radiation checks on WHRB and other college stations because of new FCC proposals.