Red Hot Conservatism

Despite the apparent dissatisfaction of a minority of the New Conservative Club, the unification of the NCC and the Harvard Conservative League--bitter rivals since the NCC's formation last February--is now a confirmed fact. Last night, it was announced that both organizations agreed to merge under the name of the NCC, the larger and more active Conservative group.

Under the terms of the agreement that the clubs' presidents drew up, the Constitution, by-laws, and resolutions of the NCC will remain in effect. What the merger really provides is the dissolution of the unpopular HCL, and the creation of one undergraduate organization to represent Conservatism.

With the establishment of this one group, Conservatism and the University as a whole should benefit. Previously the NCC and the HCL have only succeeded in warring on each other. Now, combined under the banner of the NCC, they should be able to offer the University a coherent program--one which will allow a fruitful discussion of the theories and practices of Conservatism.