Stassen Praises Ike-Dulles Policy In HYRC Speech

The Eisenhower administration's foreign policy for the past three years received warm praise from Harold E. Stassen last night in a talk sponsored by the Young Republican Club.

"It is my view that these three years of the Eisenhower-Dulles foreign policy are marked by an exceptional record of accomplishment," Stassen said, "and have brightened the prospects of a continuing properous peace with freedom and justice."

Stassen devoted almost half his speech to an evaluation of Eisenhower's foreign policy, defending it against all critics. A recommendation by Adlai Stevenson that U.N. troops patrol the Egypt-Israel border, was sharply censured by Stassen.

Calls Outbreaks Inevitable

Stassen maintained that because of the difficulties of patrolling the rough border country and probable intervention by clandestine communist groups, a series of serious incidents would be inevitable. Newspaper headlines about American soldiers who were involved in Arab-Jewish incidents would tend to dissipate American prestige. This loss would be dangerous, since United States esteem is an important stabilizing influence in the area, he said.

Stassen began his address by discussing his function as the special advisor to the President on disarmament. The important of a sound disarmament policy can not be underestimated, he said, for "the prevention of wars is the interest of every nation and requires the substitution of peaceful methods of settling disputes such as direct negotiation."

"I believe that future historians will note," Stassen said, "that in these three years President Eisenhower changed a deteriorating world situation into a world that turned its attention to prospects of 'atoms for peace' and gradually moved to resolve its dangerous divisions."