Benton Move for Campaign Commission Highlights 'Political Ethics' Law Forum

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

The creation of a national commission to report on "low blows" delivered in political campaigns was urged by William Benton, former Senator from Connecticut, at the Law Forum in Sanders Theatre last night.

Benton, the final speaker on the topic, "Ethics and Politics," said that such an Elections Practices Commission, composed of distinguished non-partisan citizens, could sponsor an "era of public enlightenment which our politics desperately needs."

Acts as Referee

This was the third point made by Benton in a four-part discussion of ways to remedy present corrupt practices in politics and government. This commission, Benton said, would issue reports every two years after an election, acting as "a kind of referee to report on low blows delivered during the heat of campaigns."

Preceding Benton on the program were two New York State politicians, Carmine G. DeSapio, N.Y. Secretary of State, and head of Tammany Hall, the new York Country Democratic organization; and Jacob K. Javits, Attorney General of N.Y., and a leading Republican.

Stating that "no party can claim a monopoly on political virtue," DeSapio said "any representations to the contrary are insults to the public intelligence." He pointed to Teapot Dome as an example of Republican corruption, paralleling the Tweed ring in New York.

Aid and Comfort

The principle political role of Tammany Hall in pre-New Deal days, DeSapio claimed, was that of "making food and clothing available to indigent people; giving them free legal advice, and in every other possible way lending aid and comfort t the voters in order to secure their support, on election day."

DeSapio, wearing dark glasses to protect his very poor eyes, warned that" until a code of political ethics with meaning and teeth is enacted and enforced, opportunists, will continue to ex-pound falsehoods." He urged leading man to take an active part in politics, but these men refuse to, he said, because they have been "maligned and outraged; insultingly and degradingly characterized as 'politicians.'"

Javits In Dramatic Role

After DeSapio took his seat, Javits very dramatically rose, and said, "I come from New York too, but I had to blink my eyes after hearing Mr. DeSapio's talk, and see if I was really from Manhattan.

"But I like Mr. DeSapio," Javits said, "he's spunky follow." Javits pointed out that when the Kefauver Committee investigated New York politics, it found many criminals entwined in the Tammany group, then and still headed by DeSapio.

Javits said New York State has pioneered in establishing a code of ethical standards to which all office holders and state employee must adhere. He hoped that this code will carry over into other fields, such as business, trade unionism and the professions.

Benton, who achieved prominence is the Senate by his running controversy with Senator Joseph R. McCarthy, said that an important factor in politics is publicity. Too often, he claimed, senators will neglect tax measures, tariff problems and the like, because they are not "newsworthy." There is a dilemma he said, "in the fact that what is interesting, what is newsworthy, has no necessary relation to what is important.