Penn Defeats Crimson in Basketball, 80-73 As Quakers Remain at Top of Ivy League

PHILADELPHIA, Feb. 18--Penn's captain and high scorer, 6-5 Bart Leach, set a new Ivy League rebounding record tonight, leading the Quakers to a 80-73 victory over Harvard's quintet. His 32 rebounds were two more than the mark set by Columbia's Jack Molinas in 1953.

By winning, the Quakers moved two full games ahead of second place Cornell and Columbia. Penn meets the Big Red tomorrow night, while Harvard meets the Lions in New York.

Joe Sturgis and Leach dominated the scoring for the winners, with Sturgis' 23 points the highest of the evening. Leach's 22 tied him for runner-up honors with the Crimson's Dick Manning. Ike Canty and Bob Hastings also hit for double figures with 16 points apiece, but 6-4 Phil Haughey was held to six points. The Crimson outscored Penn from the field, 27-25, but the Quakers had 30 fouls to Harvard's 19.

Their zone defense working to perfection, the Quakers jumped out to a 15-2 lead after only four minutes. The Crimson closed the deficit to 37-34 at half-time, and to within one point, 43-42, early in the second half. But when Manning left the game with his fourth foul, the Quakers began to pull away, increasing the margin to as much as 65-43 at the ten minute mark in the second half.

Other Harvard scorers were Bulgar, six; Bowman, four; Barnett, two; and Hurley, one