Track Team Faces Favored Yale, Princeton in Key Triangular Meet

Yale, the ruler of Ivy League track for the past two years, has been severely weakened by graduation losses, but still is favored to capture its third straight Big Three title in New Haven's Cox Cage tomorrow.

Lacking Yale's depth in the field events, the Crimson, despite Coach Bill McCurdy's pessimism, should defeat Princeton for second place, and with a little luck, might threaten the Elis.

McCurdy Relying on Hurdlers

McCurdy, who by deft handling of his material, succeeded in defeating Yale outdoors last spring-the biggest track upset in the East-is relying on his hurdlers and middle distance men to produce the needed points and middle distance men to produce the needed points tomorrow.

In the 60-yard hurdles, Captain Bob Rittenburg and his sophomore side-kick, Joel Cohen, should finish one-two. Last year, Rittenburg, suffering from a foot injury, gamely won the broad jump, tied for first in the high jump, but staggered home last in the hurdles.

Yale Favored in Weights

Although he has probably no chance of winning, the Crimson's Carl Goldman will be an important factor in the meet. If he can finish second in the 35-pound weight throw ahead of Yale's Tom Henderson, he would give the team some very valuable points. Of course, the Eli's 250-pound giant, Stew Thomson, is the unquestioned choice in the weights and in the shot put.

The most interesting race should be the 600-yard run. Joe Meyers of Princeton, the Heptagonal 440-yard champ, should get strong competition from Harvard's Dave Alpers. Alpers, bothered by illness all season, will also anchor the mile relay team including Rittenburg, Dick Wharton and Renny Little.

Wharton, who is principally a quarter-miler, will attempt to defeat Princeton's Tempest Lowry and Yale's Jeff Loucks in the 1000. If he is strong enough, Wharton may run in the two mile relay also.

The freshmen teams will battle for the Little Big Three title at the same time. Yale is favored to beat Princeton and Harvard, in that order.