'58 Makes Plans to Bring In Girls

The freshman class will offer candlelight supper on table cloths and reserve the Union rotunda for Saturday dinner couples as part of a two-pronged scheme of the Union Committee to attract more girls to the Yard.

A second motion, voted at last night's committee meeting, will open the common rooms of the Union for dancing and "escaping the cold" on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

"It is their prerogative, and it will be done," J. Vernon Patrick, Secretary to the Union, said last night.

The candle-light supper will be tried first on Feb. 12, unless Union steward James Hampton raises serious objections, Patrick said. "Also, the fire department might object to the candles," he added.

"At first, girls will come with dates, but then, we hope, they will just come," open-house sponsor Thomas O. Bernheim '58 explained. "People need a place to go in the dreary winter, and we want them to come here."

Bernheim also proposed that Radcliffe eat lunch in the Union periodically, but withdrew his recommendation. "there are too many complications," he said.