Need a Course: II

The Classgoer

Having mentioned promising Monday, Wednesday and Friday courses yesterday, the CRIMSON now suggests Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday offerings.

Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 9:--In contrast to, if not in rebellion against, the "sophisticated poetic tradition," English 195 is entitled "Folksong and Balladry." Blues and spirituals, badmen songs and sea chanteys--Assistant Professor Albert B. Friedman shows in Sever 14 the influence that all such popular expressions have had on formal poetry. This is the first year that the course has been open to undergraduates and the last that it will be available at all.

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 10:--In History 150b Assistant Professor Franklin L. Ford shows the course of German history since 1815. Bismarck and Hitler, Kulturkampf and Mein Kampf, will each fall into proper perspective in Longfellow Terrace.

Aesthetics is Professor Henry D. Aiken's field in Philosophy 164, "Philosophy of Art." The main classic and modern art theories will converge in Emerson A for the student's perusal.

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 11:--If Harvard 1 is not the skull-lined study of a medieval monk, Professor Charles H. Taylor at least creates the appropriate atmosphere when he gives the "Intellectual History of Europe, 500 to 1300." St. Augustine should confess to an appreciative audience in History 121b.

European "Art of the Romantic Period," from 1750 to 1850, promises to satisfy artists, romantics, and Modern European history concentrators looking for an interesting related course, Assistant Professor James W. Fowle, of Fine Arts 13 fame, is the lecturer, Delacroix, Millet, and other French painters the subject. Fine Arts 174 meets in Fogg Small Lecture Room.

Russophile or Russophobe, if you are interested in drama you should consider Slavic 147. Associate Professor Wiktor Weintraub is giving "Modern Slavic Drama," from 1800 on, for the first time and will deal with selected plays translated from both Russian and Polish. Chekhov will be the main attraction, Sever 21 will be the stage.