Capehart Extends Blast On Professor Galbraith

Committee to Discuss Senator's Charges Later This Week

Senator Homer E. Capehart (R-Ind) yesterday continued his verbal attack upon John Kenneth Galbraith, professor of Economics, by accusing the professor of "coming down to Washington to sell a book and embarrass the Eisenhower administration."

The Republican senator made his latest accusation following a stormy session of the Senate Banking Committee, in which his motion to have Galbraith recalled to Washington was overruled by committee chairman Senator William J. Fulbright (D-Ark.).

Executive Session Planned

After the meeting, Fulbright's office reported the motion to recall Galbraith would only be considered in executive session; this closed meeting will probably not come "until after Wednesday," the office said.

At today's meeting, Benjamin Fairless, board chairman of U.S. Steel, was kept waiting on the witness stand while Fulbright and Capehart engaged in another sharp battle over Galbraith. Capehart ignored the chairman's attempts to rule him out of order in order to read a telegram from the economics professor denying that his 1949 booklet, "Beyond the Marshall Plan," shows communist sympathy.

Attacks Stevenson Connection

Earlier in the meeting Capehart had read from the booklet and then shifted his attack to accuse Galbraith of being a "gloom and doom adviser to Adlai Stevenson."

Following the open session, Capehart said he intended to "bring up a lot more things about Galbraith," once he got him back before the committee. The professor has already expressed his willingness to reappear and expand his earlier remarks on the stock market situation.

The Republican senator then went on to say he was "bringing Galbraith back to prove that the Banking Committee's investigation of the stock market is only designed to discredit the Eisenhower administration." He continued, "Galbraith's got a very bad record; I'm going to take this all the way."

He said Democratic members of the committee had purposely picked Galbraith because he would discredit the Eisenhower administration.

Meanwhile, in Cambridge, Galbraith said he did not wish to modify his original statement, which accused Capehart of quoting him out of context. The senator last night vigorously denied he had deleted passages from the section of the Marshall Plan pamphlet he quoted over the air.

"Of course, I could only quote two paragraphs over the air," the senator stated. "But I did not leave out a single word in those paragraphs."