Ex-Governor Stevenson Gives Galbraith Support

Capehart Demands Professor's Return

By Gavin R. W. scott

Adlai E. Stevenson yesterday came to the support of John Kenneth Galbraith, professor of Economics, in his verbal battle with Sen. Homer E. Capehart (R-Ind.).

Stevenson told the CRIMSON from Chicago that he can understand why Galbraith "is so highly esteemed by scholars if not by certain politicians, especially the type that seem to think elephant phant tusks are made of piano keys."

Galbraith, an economic aide to Stevenson during the 1952 election campaign, was accused Monday by Capehart of being a "gloom and doom adviser" to the Presidential nominee. Capehart is the ranking Republican member of the Senate Banking Committee investigating the 18-month boom in the stock market.

Stevenson Refuses Names

Stevenson refused to mention specifically the names of the "certain politicians" to which he was referring because, he said, "I have not been following the committee hearings that carefully." But he did say: "I know Professor Galbraith and I wish I saw more of him."

The hearings at which Galbraith testified on March 8 concluded yesterday. In a final statement before adjournment, Capehart reiterated his belief that the hearing was designed "to embarrass the Eisenhower administration and to cause the people to lose confidence in the economy."

He has requested that Galbraith return to the stand because the professor "has a very bad record, and I have some questions about his philosophy I want to ask him."

Committee Will Consider Recall

Galbraith's recall will depend upon the decision of a closed executive session of the committee, which will probably be held "not before a week from now," according to an administrative assistant of Sen. William J. Fulbright (D-Ark.), the chairman.

The assistant, John Erieson, said that Fulbright has refused to make any comment to newsmen on the possibility of recalling Galbraith. "The witnesses for the next hearing will be selected in the same way as they were for this one, and Galbraith will not be an exception," Ericson added.

Sen. Capehart said yesterday that he could not speculate on the likelihood of asking Galbraith to reappear. "I have done all I can do. The executive session will have to be called by Sen. Fulbright, an dthe decision on Galbraith will rest with the committee," he said.

Capehart said that should the professor be recalled, he intends "to take the inquiry all the way. I want to ask Galbraith about his views on the private enterprise system," he said.