Yale Swim Team 3rd, Crimson 4th in NCAA

OXFORD, Ohio, March 25--Yale and Harvard rank third and fourth behind Ohio State and the University of Michigan after the second day of competition at the N.C.A.A. championship swimming meet here at the University of Miami.

Ohio State totaled 43 points, Michigan 28, Yale 27, and the Crimson 10. Stanford and Iowa State followed close behind with 8 and 7 points respectively.

The Eli's Kerry Donovan took the 50-yard freestyle in a blanket finish which the judges took over 15 minutes to decide. Yale's Rex Aubrey took second, followed by Dick Pennigton of the University of Iowa, Dartmouth's John Glover, Robinson Ord of Cornell, and the Crimson's Chouteau Dyer.

The only times given were for first place, 22.8, and sixth, two tenths of a second later.

The Crimson's Jim Jorgensen lost third place behind Michigan's Jack Wardrop and Ohio State's Ford Konno in the 220 on a slow turn. In the last lap he came from behind to beat out Oklahoma's Graham Johnston and Pete Duveau for a fourth after Indian's Bill Wollsey.

Jack Wardrop of Michigan set a meet record to win the event in 2:04.2. Konno's time was 2:04.2, Woolsey did a 2:08.1, and Jorgensen a 2:09 flat. The Oklahomans were 1.7 and 2.7 seconds slower.

Eils Win Relay

Yale easily took the 400-yard free style relay in 3:24.9 with Aubrey, Sandy Gideonse, Dan Cornwell, and Captain Mac Aldrich. The Crimson's quartet of Dyer, Pete Macky, Jon Lind, and Jorgensen was fourth behind Michigan and lowa State. Dyer's leg put Harvard in the lead, but by the final lap Jorgensen again had to come from behind to beat the Ohio State team by one second and Stanford by 4.8. Dartmouth's relay did not reach the finals.

The Crimson's Dave Hawkins was scratched from this relay and the medley tomorrow because it was erroneously feared that he had the mumps. His teammate Jack Edwards was also out, with sinus trouble. Hawkins will be able to swim the butterfly tomorrow, however.

North Carolina State's Bob Mattson set a 2:26.0 intercollegiate record in winning the 200-yard orthodox breaststroke, beating Bumpy Jones of Michigan's 2:26.4