Univ. of Wash. Professors Concur on Miller's Stand

Two professor at the University of Washington last night endorsed the stand of Perry G. E. Miller, professor of American Literature, in refusing to speak at the Seattle institution following its ban on scheduled talks by Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer.

The president of the Seattle Harvard Club also supported Miller "with the utmost vigor."

Professor Solomon Kats, chairman of Washington's department of History, last night said, "All the members of the department are distressed by the news that professor Miller will not speak. But we respect his action and understand the reasons for it."

Katz added, "A number of the members of the faculty and a pretty substantial number of students" have also protested the ban on Oppenheimer, and "the protests still go on," he said. "I personally oppose the ban on Oppenheimer very vigorously,' he continued, 'but I see no possibility of President Schmitz rescinding his action." Schmitz last night refused to talk to the CRIMSON.

Chairman of the department of English, professor Robert Heilman, supported Katz. Distressed at the refusal of Miller to lecture on April 8, Heilman said, "I think there is a fair amount of agreement with me by the faculty. On the whole, the faculty is opposed to the ban."

Miller yesterday revealed that he has received a letter from Philip E. Moore, president of the Seattle Harvard Club, approving his action. "They are more eager than over to have me," Miller declared. He will address the Club on April 17.

Moore stated "I am not speaking officially for the Club, but I personally applaud Miller's action with the utmost viger.?"

Professor Thomas J. Pressly of the department of History, responsible for Miller's scheduled lecture, declared. "There are rumors of two or three other refusals like Miller's in the making." Pressly also understood that President Schmitz had recently appeared before the faculty governing board, but had refused to discuss "questions of policy.