Lacrosse Team Ends Spring Trip With Five Losses to Top Colleges

A rugged schedule combined with five of the top teams in the country to give the varsity lacrosse team five straight losses last week in its annual spring tour.

Southern colleges, traditionally strong in lacrosse, defeated the Crimson four times in four days. On the fifth, which was last Friday, the Crimson squad lost by the largest score of the tour to Princeton, 22 to 3. The squad played Navy, Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Maryland, besides Princeton.

Captain Dexter Lewis was the outstanding player on the team during the trip and by far the highest scorer. In the game with Virginia he sank nine of the ten points tallied by the varsity.

Wins Not Expected

No one expected the team to win, neither the players nor coach. But, as described by one player, the trip provides a valuable barometer to test the team's strength relative to other years and other teams.

On the whole the team did better than expected. The scores in most cases were not far different from those tallied by last year's championship team. And this year's squad is the greenest Munro has had for some years.

Perhaps the greatest benefit from the trip will be seen in the improved Crimson defense. Because of the superior attacking power of their opponents, the defense-men probably gained more experience than any of their teammates. Leo Daley, Elbridge Gerry, Roger Martin, and Fred Sharf will figure prominently on defense in the future.

It was unfortunate that the attack was given little opportunity to improve through experience. It should be able to demonstrate its potency next Saturday against Tufts, which is reputed to be not too strong.