Rugby Team Beats Green For First Bermuda Crown

WARWICK, Bermuda, April 10--The Crimson rugby team swept through international and Ivy League competition yesterday to win the Bermuda Intercollegiate Cup for the first time in the 22-year history of the series.

The club defeated Dartmouth, 9 to 0, in the finals of the three-game series, in preliminary matches the Crimson ruggers took Princeton, last year's Eastern Rugby Champions, 9 to 0, and edged by the Eastern Canadian All-Stars, 6 to 0.

This unscored-on sweep ended the team's week-long visit to the British isle on the most successful note since the club has competed in the series.

In the finals against Dartmouth fly-half Jerry Marsh combined with Buzzy Smith after seven minutes of the second half to score the varsity's first points. With minutes remaining and Dartmouth minus two men, South Africa's Lionel Bryer and John Chalsty teamed in a perfect scissors movement for the final three points.

Three-quarter movements on both sides characterized first-half play. After 25 minutes, Dartmouth's scoring punch was severely weakened when tackle Bob Richter broke two ribs. No substitutions are allowed in rugby.

In the semi-final match against Princeton, gale winds and frequent showers resulted in a game dominated by forward play.

Scrum-half Nat Cooke made the first scoring attempt just before half time. He moved over from five-yard scrum. The final score came after 15 minutes of the second half when Marsh scored. Joe Ross converted from under the posts.

In the first match of the vacation tour the Crimson's upset victory over the Eastern Canadian All-Stars made them unofficial favorites. Chalsty scored both tries in the game.

This was the first of four 30-minute exhibitions played before Sir Alexander Hood, Governor of the island, as part of the opening-day ceremonies for rugby week.