Books and Men

A noted magazine writer quite graciously pointed out a few years ago, when comparing the University's library to the Library of Congress, that although the Washington collection is officially larger, Harvard's library is in fact bigger. "This is because most of the senators steal books from the Library of Congress," the writer noted. Such praise is gratifying, especially when many people often have wondered what French assemblymen do in the Bibliotheque National. Nevertheless, to be completely honest, someone should point out that Harvard professors, while they do not steal Widener's books, do quite often "keep then indefinitely."

Then again, a parallel to Congress can't altogether-be-denied. For the library administration probably uses as much diplomacy in getting its books returned as has been employed for decades in Washington. If a student happens to request a book charged to a faculty member, the library aids him in retrieving it by sending the professor a polite card requesting its return. Usually one card is enough, but the months often drag on while the coveted book lies dustily on the professor's book shelf. In the meantime, the undergraduate must either give up his search or read the work in its Greek translation.

The best Widener can do is finally to request the tardy professor's permission to release his name to the anxious students. If they faculty member agrees, the undergraduate may be privileged to take a bus-ride over to Brookline and read the volume at the professor's home. If not, he might as well give up and saunter down Widener's steps and into the Yard, resolutely humming "Rock of Ages."

No one would question that a professor or teaching fellow who needs a volume as a major reference in doing research or writing a book should have it for a longer period than the casual undergraduate. It would also be unfair to expect faculty members to be subject to the same regulations as students, renewing their books every two weeks. But there should be some time limit on a book which is in demand--no matter who needs it. Those faculty members to fail to comply should be subject to regular library fines.

The University's professors have been notably outspoken on "book-burning." They should remember that book hiding, even if not insidious, is just as effective in keeping the times from undergraduates. Let's keep the book omnipresent in Cambridge.