Tufts' Errors Give Varsity Nine 3-2 Win

Tufts had better pitching and better hitting, but the Crimson had the breaks, as the varsity nine edged the Jumbos yesterday, 8 to 2.

Although tall John McGrath held the varsity hitless for 4 and 2-3 innings, allowing only five safeties in all, a few misplays by Tufts' fielders gave the Crimson its sixth straight triumph.

After presenting Tufts with a gift run in the first on a two-base error, the varsity countered without the benefit of a hit. Lead-off man Dick Hoffman, who has been on base at least three times every game, opened the Crimson half of the first with a walk. He advanced to second on an infield out, and scored on a wild pitch.

Tufts took the lead in the third on a walk, a stolen base and a single to right. McGrath held the Crimson in check till the fifth inning. His effectiveness was evident from the fact that his first baseman made only four putouts; the varsity was either popping up or striking out.

Hoffman broke the spell in the fifth with the varsity's first hit. Simourian followed with a walk, but Don Butters, remaining in a springlong slump, flied out to end the threat.

The varsity tied the game in the seventh as Bill Chauncey, starting in center for the first time this season, as Bill Cleary moved to shortstop bolstering the infield, led off with a single. After an out, George Anderson subbed for pitcher Bob Kessler and walked. Hoffman followed with his second straight hit, loading the bases. Simourian then slapped a long foul drive down the right field line; the right fielder must have thought that it was fair, for he caught it, allowing the tying run to score and the other runners to move up after the catch. butters again ended the rally.

In the next inning, Tufts gave the varsity another run--the winning one. The Jumbo shortstop fumbled Bill Cleary's grounder and Matt Botsford followed with a long triple to left-center to drive home Cleary. Botsford thus continued his fine hitting, also collecting a single.

Bob Kessler started on the mound for the varsity, and pitched adequately, allowing but one earned run. He was given no batting support, however, and retired for a pinch-hitter in the seventh. Ken Rossano finished the last two frames to get credit for his second triumph.

The middle part of the batting order was off yesterday, as it has been in several other games. Besides Butters, who stranded seven runners in three times at bat, clean-up man George MacDonald and fifth batter Cleary went hitless. When this part of the attack starts to produce, the Crimson's occasional fielding lapses should go unnoticed.