Crimson Favored Against Cadets In Diamond opener at West Point

By John E. Grady

The Crimson's six-game winning streak should be extended when the varsity nine plays a mediocre West Point squad at West Point this afternoon, in the first of a two-game road trip. This will be the varsity's first game in the Eastern Inter-collegiate Baseball League.

The Cadets have compiled a 2-2 record so far this year, but their victories were over weak Villanova and Swarthmore ball clubs. They wore defeated decisively by Maine, 14-4, and Columbia, 13-2.

Andy Ward, the top Crimson hurler, will pitch against the Cadets. His mound opponent will be either Red Vitty or Bill Shepherd. Vitty threw a no-hitter against Swarthmore in his first game of the season, but gave up seven runs and could not retire a man in his next start against Columbia.

Infield Weak

The Army infield of Gene Fisher at first base, Art Martina at second, Mike Conrad at short, and Joe Cygler at third is considered one of the weakest West Point infields of recent years, averaging six errors a game. Army's hitting is also poor, with cleanup batter and end left fielder Ralph Cheanauskan the only 300 hitter on the squad. Chesnauskas, a regular football tackle, missed the first two baseball games because of spring football practice, and has added a great deal of power to the Cadet attack since his return.

Coach Norm Shepard will probably field the same lineup that edged Tufts, 3-2, on Wednesday. In that game, Bill Cleary moved from center field to shortstop for the first time this season, and was replaced in center field by Bill Chauncey.

Following the West Point encounter, the team will move to New York City for a game with a much stronger Columbia nine. Ken Rossano is expected to start on the mound against the Lions.

Last year, the varsity finished seventh in the EIBL with a 3-5 record, but this year's squad will probably be a contender for the championship.

In their opening game, the JV's bowed to the Wentworth Institute varsity, 8 to 5. Bill Congleton pitched the whole game, and Frank Nahiglan and Bob Gebelin led the hitting attack with two hits apiece.