Varsity Baseball Team Will Meet Holy Cross Today for Ninth Win

A perennially powerful Holy Cross baseball squad will attempt to snap the Crimson's eight-game winning streak in Worcester today. Weather permitting, the non-league contest will begin on the Crusaders' Fitton Field at 3:30 p.m.

Coach Jack Barry's Crusaders will enter the game seeking their third win, and the continuation of their undefeated season. The Crusaders have downed both Brown and Tufts by overwhelming margins.

The Crimson defeated Tufts last week by a 3 to 2 score, collecting all its runs on Jumbo errors.

Adverse weather conditions however, have severely hampered the Crusader nine, and it has not had the extensive practice which the Crimson gained in its spring trip and many ball games.

Barry plans to start Joe Liebler on the mound against the varsity. Either Bob Kessler or Andy Ward, both possessing 2-0 records this season, will receive the Crimson pitching assignment.

Varsity coach Norm Sheppard plans to start the same men and keep the identical batting order which proved successful against West Point and Columbia in New York last week-end. Don Butters, who slammed two home runs against Columbia to break his hitting slump, will remain fifth in the Crimson order.

Saturday the nine will meet Navy, the defending Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League champions, in a contest which may decide the league leadership this year.

* * *

The scheduled junior varsity game against Nicholas Junior College was postponed until an unnamed date in May because of rain.

Yardling Nine Faces M.I.T.

The freshman baseball team will play M.I.T. today at 3:45 p.m. on Soldiers Field with Dave Collins on the mound. The game, previously scheduled for yesterday, was postponed because of rain and wet grounds.

The Yardlings will be expecting added pitching strength to back up their fine fielding and hitting in order to take their second win of the season. The team lost their opening game to the New Hampshire freshmen, 8 to 5, last Wednesday, but defeated Exeter on Saturday, 19 to 4.

Today's lineup will be Tom Bergantine at shortstop, Frank Saia at first, Bob Cleary at second, Walt Stahura in center, Ken Hathaway in left, Stu Levine at third, Hugh Slotkin in right, and John Davis catching.