Group of Students Plans Assistance For Rural India

By John H. Fincher

Representatives from 21 College and Radcliffe student organizations voted unanimously Wednesday night to support a program through which undergraduates would provide funds to enable a group of Delhi University students to improve living standards in rural Indian villages.

The representatives pledged their support as individuals and informally agreed to urge their respective organizations to back the project. If successful, the plan may eventually lead to an exchange of students with Delhi University.

A 15-man executive committee was elected to publicize and plan the fundraising. The project would involve more than 200 Indian students at Delhi who would attempt to reduce illiteracy and to organize construction and hygiene projects in the villages.

The Delhi, the project is being developed under Viredra Agarwala, an Indian who proposed the project to Neil D. Hastle '52, Graduate Secretary of PBH, while studying here last year. Agarwala is Secretary of the Indian National Committee of World University Service which would provide administrative help for the plan.

Non-Governmental Attempt

Over the summer, the committee will consider ways to raise approximately $3,000 per year, a sum which the Indian students hope to equal in order to support the project. The program will be a non-governmental attempt to achieve a closer relationship with Indian students, according to the four members of a planning committee which investigated the idea and called Wednesday's meeting.

If the College demonstrates enough interest next fall, a limited one-year plan will be adopted. This would be modified on a five-year basis if support continues. The Delhi committee would supply the Harvard group here with literature and other materials on the culture and civilization of India in exchange for the aid.