Varsity Nine to Risk EIBL Lead Against Weak Big Red Tomorrow

Rossano Seeks Sixth Win of Season

By John A. Rava

With first place in the Eastern League and a newly-fashioned five-game winning streak at stake, the varsity baseball team faces a last-place Cornell squad at Soldier's Field tomorrow at 3 p.m.

Coach Norm Shepard plans to start Ken Rossano, who boasts a 5-1 record, against Cornell's Bill DeGraff. Seeking its 14th victory in 16 games, the Crimson should not run into any trouble from the weak Big Red.

In fact, it is difficult not to by-pass tomorrow's contest, and look ahead to the final two crucial League games next week, against Brown on Wednesday and Yale Saturday. The Yale game will probably decide the League title, since the Elis now match the Crimson's 6-0 League record.

Fielding Only Fair

Although Cornell has a .500 percentage for the season, with a 5-5 overall record, it is only 1-4 in league play. Despite the return of the two top hitters in the League last year, the Big Red attack has fallen off, and its fielding is only fair.

DeGraff, a big righthander with a medium fast ball and a sharp-breaking curve, is the best hurler on the staff. Last season he finished fourth in the League, with a 1.45 earned run average.

The Big Red lineup presents a strange appearance with a tiny 5 ft., 5 in. first baseman, Dick Shigekane. He makes up for his height with his bat, however, leading the team with a .423 mark. John Anderluh, the third baseman, and Dick Meade, the shortstop, one-two in League batting last year, also pose a strong threat.

On the whole, though, the Cornell club does not measure up to a Crimson nine which is strong at every position.

In other weekend action, the J.V. team meets the B.U. freshmen here today at 3:45 p.m. and the Yardlings play at Brookline High tomorrow at 3 p.m.