B-School Men Reject Honor System Plan

Large Majority of Students Vote Against Stricter Rules

By John E. Grady

A proposal for a more stringent honor system was decisively rejected by Business School students in a special vote taken last week, Dunbar Abston, chairman of the Educational Committee of the Business School Student's Association, announced Friday.

Had the proposed plan been accepted, all students would have been compelled to sign a statement at the end of each examination saying that they "had neither given nor received assistance" during the exam, and would have been morally obliged to report any student seen cheating during a test. Furthermore, each prospective student would have to agree to the system as a requirement for admission.

Under the present, more lenient system, students may speak to classmates during the exams, and are not compelled to report men seen cheating.

Abston said that the vote was taken "to get an opinion, once and for all, as to the views of Business School men on the honor system." He said that there had been only a few cases of cheating reported this year, and stated that "they seem to be a result of a misunderstanding of the honor system, and not of an intentional attempt to cheat."

Cheating Not Widespread

Abston added that he interpreted the vote to mean that students did not consider cheating to be widespread enough to be a campus problem. He also said that he felt the men had confidence in the effectiveness of the present honor system, "which, in itself, is a system permitting individual freedom and requiring individual honor."