Houses Will Attempt to Absorb Extra Students

University Uncertain Where to Put Men Not Accommodated

The Houses will attempt to absorb almost a hundred students beyond their capacity next fall, Dean Watson announced yesterday.

Last year, fourteen students could not be accommodated by the Houses and were, consequently, sent to dorms in the Business School area for the year. It may be impossible to send excess students to Business School dorms next year, however, according to Watson, because of overcrowding there. In that event, the College will have to decide next year where to send the overflow.

There will be no "barracks group," which means students will not be placed temporarily in the IAB before permanent assignments are made. "The barracks group idea has created an unpleasant atmosphere between the College and students," Reuben A. Brower, Master of Adams House, stated.

Move Over!

Larger suites in the various Houses are being considered for possible occupancy next fall by students not previously assigned to rooms. The plan would be operated on a voluntary basis, with occupants of the rooms choosing whether to take in additional students.

Since the spring of 1953, when there was an excess of 92 House applicants, the total number of extra students has increased steadily. This spring 172 students have not been assigned definitely to a room in any of the Houses. It is expected that about 70 vacancies will occur over the summer, which will leave an excess of 100 in the fall.

The increase in House applicants has been largely due to a proportional decrease in the number of comuters at the College, according to Watson.